The Greatest Accomplishments are Achieved Through Teamwork

Donna Sollenberger, EVP & CEO, UTMB Health SystemIn the world of health care today, it’s hard to go anywhere without hearing about the necessity of teamwork or that the greatest accomplishments are achieved when people work in teams. Teamwork requires constant attention, communication, inclusion and collaboration.

One of my favorite sports is basketball, and one of the all-time greats and holder of six NBA championship rings, Michael Jordan, once said the said the following: “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”

Think about it. We have so many talented and intelligent people who work at UTMB, but Jordan’s sentiment about teamwork is the essential ingredient for ultimate success. At UTMB, we have to work together to benefit the health and care of patients. Just before the holidays, I took some time to review everything that we had collectively achieved over the past year, and not only was it clear to me that we are all passionate about being the best possible place for patients to receive care, but I was amazed by all that we had accomplished as a result of this teamwork!

We began 2013 by breaking ground on the Victory Lakes expansion, an exciting project that will allow UTMB to provide more services and convenience to our patients in the Bay Area while also offering a more integrated system of care. Meanwhile, we built mock-up rooms of the new Jennie Sealy Hospital to allow staff and community members a chance to provide feedback; we made modifications based on that input and then conducted patient simulation drills to ensure the design would be as refined as possible for our patients, their families and our patient care teams.

We made a collective commitment to engage our patients and their families in every stage of their care by placing them at the center of their care team. We also went live with utmbConnect, which enabled us to offer our patients the convenience of a single electronic medical record and a combined bill for all of their encounters at UTMB. And speaking of the utmbConnect project, UTMB recently received news that we were rated an “A+” top-tier performer by Epic—what an outstanding achievement! We could not have been as successful without a tremendous amount of teamwork across all areas of the institution.

In 2013, it seemed as though awards came in one after another. We became first hospital in Texas to receive American Health Association’s Get with the Guidelines®-Resuscitation Silver Quality Achievement Award and became one of four centers Texas and one of 44 in the U.S. to be designated as an AAGL Center of Excellence Distinction for Minimally Invasive Gynecology. We also received certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, and these are only a few examples of recognitions—don’t forget the SICU’s recent Gold-level Beacon Award from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses and Family Medicine’s recognition as an NCQA Level-3 Patient Centered Medical Home. This was quite a year for UTMB!

We also developed great partnerships, such as the shared pilot program between the UTMB Emergency Department and Galveston EMS that reduces the time it takes to get a stroke patient to a CT scan after reaching the ER entrance from 20 minutes to 2 minutes—this is valuable time saved for a stroke patient, who may lose 10 percent of salvageable brain function for every 15 minutes they go untreated.

I could fill an entire book with all the great accomplishments over the past year, and I assure you, these are but a handful of the highlights. I am excited to share all that we will accomplish through teamwork in 2014. If you have stories that you would like to share, please send them to me at health.system@utmb.edu

Thank you for your teamwork. I am proud to work with each of you and to be part of the UTMB team!

2 thoughts on “The Greatest Accomplishments are Achieved Through Teamwork

1. I just wanted to say how much I LOVE this blog! What a great way to connect with all of UTMB and share what is happening on the island and in our outlaying areas. I have worked for CMC for 18 years and I will admit to feeling like the preverbial “read-headed stepchild” in the past when it came to UTMB as a whole. It seemed that we were often “out of sight and out of mind”! But lately I see a real effort being made to not only make us feel like a true part of the UTMB family, but also to let the family know what we are up to. I appreciate that. Thank you for the time and effort that you have put into making that happen. :)