Last November we started testing and piloting a new quality tool that scans UTMB’s public facing sites looking for broken links, misspelled words and accessibility issues. It also has a nifty inventory feature that lists the number and types of pages, types of files, problematic content. During testing, we used the tool aggressively on UTMBHealth.com (our patient portal); more recently we’ve begun targeting our edu sites. Developers in our schools were also among our initial group of testers, and some other high profiles sites such as IHOP were in the first round.
The consensus: we like the tool, it’s proven useful. We still have a lot of work to do to address all the issues. But as we do, we’re also ready to help you with your sites by running some reports for the resources you manage. If you have a public facing site (not on our intranet and not a blog or business app on a dedicated server like MyChart), we can auto-generate a weekly report for you of potential problems. If that’s not enough, we can get you access to an online dashboard.
Speaking from personal experience, it’s very gratifying to watch the reported errors drop. One little glitch in your navigation or a relocated/missing document in a shared footer can generate a lot of errors.