Commit to Excellence

Donna Sollenberger, EVP & CEO, UTMB Health SystemLast week, I shared a story about my grandson, Jack, who recently competed in a swim meet. During one of his races, he swam four laps with his goggles between his nose and his mouth after they were dislodged upon diving into the pool. Despite this obstacle, Jack finished the race. I thought this story was a great example of the importance of staying the course to achieve our goals, despite the obstacles we may encounter along our way.

After this race, Jack had a little bit of time for lunch before he swam in his next two events. As the time approached for the 100-meter backstroke, he sat down next to me. Instead of asking him if he was nervous, I asked about his goal for his heat. He told me that he wanted to improve his time and finish in the top eight, which would earn him a ribbon.

“So, you have a plan?” I asked.

“Yes,” he said. (He is a boy of few words – or maybe it is just that he is 10!)

“How did you get that plan?” I asked. (Jack thinks his Nana asks a lot of questions, but I tell him I had many years of practice when his mom was young!)

“I worked with my coach.” He said. “She had me practice my dive into the water and my turns. My coach and I talked about what I needed to do to improve my stroke, and we talked about my plan for swimming the race.”

Then he told me about how he would try to get a good entry into the water, move under the water as long as he could, swim hard the first lap, pace himself, and then give it all he had toward the finish.

“Do you feel it is a good plan, one that will work for you?” I asked.

Jack nodded.

“Then go do it, Jack, because I know you can.”

As he dove into the water a few minutes later, I held my breath, hoping that his plan would pay off and he would meet his goal. A few minutes later, Jack had finished in the top five!

I thought about what Jack had done – how he had prepared for and swam his race. I realized how similar this is to what we are doing in the next twelve months to achieve our Best Care goal:

• We have selected the races that will help us rank among the best. In other words, we have identified several areas of focus in quality and safety – mortality, readmissions, length of stay and patient safety – that will help us improve the most and place us among the best academic medical centers in the country, as measure by Vizient’s Quality & Accountability Study. We also know we must maintain our success in patient-centeredness and equity, as well as remain focused on clinical documentation improvements and enhancing the Epic EMR to be successful.
  • We have set challenging but achievable targets. Working together, Health System leadership, the Provost & Dean of the School of Medicine, and the Clinical Chairs identified measurable goals that we believe we can achieve within the coming year—as long as we work together and maintain our commitment, dedication and focus. Learn more about these measures on the Best Care website.
  • We will coach ourselves so we always know how well we are performing and where we need to increase our focus to improve. Teams across the Health System have created reports that can be accessed on the Process Improvement Dashboard to help us track our progress. Clinical Chairs and unit leaders can access these reports, identify areas for improvement on an ongoing basis, and help lead their teams to success.
  • We believe we can do it! Above all, we believe we can be the BEST, because know at UTMB Health, we have the talent and expertise – and most of all, we have the passion – to deliver a safe, reliable care environment and an excellent patient experience to every patient, every time.

“Desire is the key to motivation, but it is determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal – a commitment to excellence – that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”

—Mario Andretti