Going above and beyond

Donna Sollenberger, EVP & CEO, UTMB Health SystemYesterday, I received a letter from one of our patients, and I wanted to share it with you all today, because I think it is a wonderful example of how when we do just a little more than is required for our patients, and we do so genuinely, we lift them up. Going the extra mile for our patients doesn’t always require being faced with a patient who has dramatic needs or challenges. Sometimes we can demonstrate care for our patients through a simple act of kindness or comfort, or finding a way to make the patient’s experience and process of care as convenient as possible for them. That’s exactly what happened in this case, and it helped make one of our patients feel truly cared for:

I am writing this letter to recognize the outstanding service that I received on March 21st and March 22nd from two of your employees. I had a doctor’s appointment at the Harborside Medical Group office and came in contact with Alina Valdez. When I arrived and checked in, the first receptionist could not get my parking ticket validated. She handed it off to Alina and after 10 attempts she was able to obtain a validation code.

After I finished my appointment with my physician at approximately 5:20 p.m., I went back to the reception area and the only one there was Alina. I told her the doctor ordered an X-ray and that I would need to make an appointment (I knew it was after 5:00 p.m.). Alina explained that she could get me over to the main hospital; she knew that Olivia Martinez in Radiology also stays late, and they could get my X-ray done that day so I wouldn’t have to make another trip or visit. I also needed to make another appointment to see a specialist, which Alina handled, scheduling my appointment for the next day at 11:00 a.m.

Alina made several follow-up calls and kept me informed. It is my belief that Alina went out of her way to assist and accommodate me for no reason other than I was a patient, and Olivia also was very helpful. They didn’t have to be.

I would greatly appreciate someone recognizing these two ladies for their care and dedication to both UTMB and me as a patient. I am truly impressed and know the value of dedicated employees. Please know that I am very appreciative of their service.

When we treat each patient the same way we would want to be treated, or as we would want a valued member of our family to be treated, not only are we doing what is right, but we are also distinguishing the patient experience at UTMB from all other providers. When we warmly greet and assist patients and visitors, and we find solutions for them, we show them that we respect them as human beings and we understand their time is valuable. When we work together to make sure the patient gets the test or appointment they need in a timely manner, we show that we care about their well-being. We can demonstrate care and respect by promptly responding to patients’ messages. We can follow up with them to make sure they are satisfied with their experience and that they have all the information they need.

When we consistently deliver an exceptionally good patient experience, and when we thank our patients and families for choosing UTMB, we set ourselves apart from the rest. Let’s be the kind of UTMB Health employee that always represents the kind of care we say we will deliver—the same care we would want for the most cherished of our loved ones. Going above and beyond is what providing excellent care and service is all about!

How do you go the extra mile for our patients?